Video: Modular Stairs: Features, Types, Pros And Cons
The main feature of modular ladders is not a one-piece structure, but a collapsible one, which is mounted at the installation site, but made in the factory. A standard staircase of this type has three modules - basic, mounted on the floor of the first and second (second or third) floors, and also the middle one, which can be created according to the customer's dimensions, with different heights and widths of steps. The base modules are the start and end modules for the ladder.
1 - lower module; 2 - middle module; 3 - top module; 4 - support 1 m; 5 - support 2 m; 6 - floor of the first floor; 7 - floor of the second floor; 8 - handrail cap / plug; 9 - angular hinge; 10 - baluster 900 mm
We have given only one scheme of a modular staircase, because they are very different, but the general details are common to all:
- the modules themselves, which make up the frame of the stairs.
- retaining posts, they are also vertical supports.
- railing posts, that is, balusters.
The frame of the modular staircase is traditionally made of stainless steel or structural steel. In the latter case, the metal is coated with a special paint and varnish composition or polymer. If the frame is wooden, the structure was created to order, according to individual requirements, ready-made modules are always metal.
For the steps of a modular staircase, natural wood, pressed plywood, plastic, PVC, pressed glued wood are most often used. The price of a staircase often seriously depends on the material of the frame and steps, because inexpensive plastic is one thing and a natural solid oak is quite another.
According to the configuration, modular stairs are usually divided into the following types:
- straight lines. The simplest designs, no turns and corners.
- marching, with one or two turns. Three-flight stairs are usually used for rooms with sufficiently high ceilings.
- screw. They are considered the most compact, but not always the most convenient.
Depending on the geometry of the descent, modular staircases can be "G" or "P" -shaped, arched, run-in.
Important! The maximum height of the modular ladder is 3.5 m! This is, of course, sufficient for use in a home with a standard blade height.
The advantages of modular stairs include:
- relatively inexpensive, especially when compared to on-site all-wood or solid concrete structures.
- quite presentable and attractive appearance.
- you can choose the height of the steps for yourself, order the stairs of the desired shape.
- the same connecting elements and parts are used for different types of structures. Installation is quite simple, if desired, the ladder can be assembled by hand.
- take up less space than other staircase options.
- the modular design can be disassembled and moved to another place.
- high-quality modular ladders on a reliable metal frame with wear-resistant steps serve for a long time.
However, modular ladders may have disadvantages. For example, a slight skew may appear during operation. This risk arises if the docking of the elements of the modules was carried out loosely, in the event of a violation of the technological process. After a few years, the stairs can also begin to sag, which will immediately be felt when walking. Both of these shortcomings, however, can be eliminated by finding out the cause and sealing the desired connection.
In addition, individual manufacturers immediately indicate that the ladder is designed, for example, for a load of 200-250 kg. That is, the three of us can no longer go up.
Parts of modular stairs can be connected as follows:
- "Module to module". All parts are fastened with pipes that fit into each other. This method belongs to the first generation modular ladders.
- "Threaded rod". The elements are connected, as the name implies, with a threaded stud.
- "On a clamp". This is the second generation of modular ladders, the elements are fastened with bolts or tension screws.
Assembly "on a clamp" is considered the most reliable, but also the most expensive, consider this point. In general, modular stairs have a lot of advantages, including a large selection of design options. Therefore, this type of staircase has every chance of gaining even greater popularity.