Table of contents:
Video: How To Get Rid Of Mold On Walls
2023 Author: Douglas Hoggarth | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-11-26 20:16
- How mold is etched away
Formulations and recipes for mold control
- Ammonia (aqueous ammonia)
- Borax (borax, tinkal, high-temperature flux)
- Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- Hydrogen peroxide 3% (perhydrol)
- Vinegar 7-9%
- Useful tips for dealing with mold
Condensate can collect in places where temperatures change and in closed spaces: rooms, vessels, cavities. In stagnant moisture, spores of a fungus (mold) inevitably start. Mold is a living organism that grows under certain conditions. Depending on the material of the solid surface, it has different names and classes, in total there are about 400 types of household mold. However, they all originate in the same living conditions, which means that the “deadly” conditions for them are also the same. That is, we can remove all types of household mold by the same means.
How mold is etched away
Household fungus is afraid of literally everything: draft, household and food chemicals, salt, frost, heat, ultraviolet radiation and other tangible factors that are relatively safe for humans. Part of these phenomena destroys it, part of it stops development.
There are several ways to kill fungus:
- Place it in an unacceptable environment. After being removed from the "home" place, it no longer interferes with the person.
- Destroy it on the spot. Removal from the surface will have a temporary effect. If indoor conditions do not change, it will reappear.
- Eliminate fungal spores. This is already more meaningful: to treat the place affected by mold with an active compound that will destroy the spores of the fungus that have eaten into the material.
- Eliminate conditions favorable for its growth. Mold appears in places with stagnant humid air. Eliminating this factor will prevent the fungus from multiplying.
An additional risk factor for mold is that it not only feeds on moisture, but also retains it. Chemical reactions that take place in disputes affect any material, especially wood.
Formulations and recipes for mold control
As we already mentioned, there are fungal agents in every pharmacy or household chemical store. Let's try to understand the degree of effectiveness of each of them, noting the advantages and disadvantages.
Destroys most of the known species of not only domestic but also outdoor mold. The whiteness bleach contains a large percentage of chlorine, which perfectly disinfects materials and liquids, destroying all microorganisms. The undisputed leader in efficiency.
Disadvantage. It is toxic when it reacts, it irritates the mucous membrane. You can get mild poisoning from vapors, and acute poisoning from ingestion.
Price. 1 liter of "Whiteness" costs about 0.5 cu. e.
Ammonia (aqueous ammonia)
Effective for hard surfaces (non-porous) - countertops, tiles, glass. Not suitable for porous materials such as wood, drywall.
Disadvantage. Up to 50% of the liquid evaporates or loses its properties without having time to react. Pungent odor, may cause serious irritation.
Price. 1 liter of aqueous ammonia solution costs ∽ 1.8 cu. e.
Borax (borax, tinkal, high-temperature flux)
The name of this substance comes from the Arabic "byurak" - white. It actively reacts with water, forming an aggressive environment that is safe for humans and coatings. Especially effective on glazed surfaces (sanitary ware, enamel).
Disadvantage. It is produced in the form of a powder, which is inconvenient to use - you have to prepare a solution.
Price. 1 kg of technical borax will cost about 1 cu. e.
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
Like borax, it is an alkali, only more readily available due to distribution. It is absolutely harmless and non-toxic, does not emit harmful substances.
Disadvantage. Low reactivity (a tribute to safety) and relatively high price.
Price. 1 kg of purified soda suitable for food purposes costs about 1.7 cu. e. Baking soda of the 2nd grade will cost significantly less - 0.25–0.3 cu. e. / kg.
Hydrogen peroxide 3% (perhydrol)
Active antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial agent. Its original purpose is to kill fungus, so peroxide is the best choice for removing mold. It disinfects the surface and is harmless to humans even with direct ingestion.
In industry, perhydrol is actively used as a disinfecting component for water and other media. If desired, you can purchase peroxide of higher concentration - up to 35%. Such a "strong" (active) composition is used for water preparation and pool cleaning.
Disadvantage. The pharmaceutical preparation does not corrode dark spots from the fungus. Highly concentrated liquid is not sold in stores.
Price. A pharmacy pack of 100 ml costs 0.2 cu. That is, 1 liter of technical peroxide 5% costs about 0.65 cu. e. Peroxide of a higher concentration costs from 1.2 cu. e. / l.
Destroys about 80 types of fungus. The weak acid is safe for human skin. Unlike borax and soda, it creates an acidic environment in which mold spores die.
Disadvantage. Acrid fumes and odor that does not fade for a long time.
Price. 1 liter of 9% table vinegar costs about 0.7 cu. e. Vinegar essence 70% costs about 2.5 cu. e. / l.
By performing a simple analysis, we can make sure that two substances remain in the "leaders":
- Bleach is absolutely effective, but requires respiratory and vision protection. Suitable for large volumes and advanced cases.
- Hydrogen peroxide (pharmacy) is absolutely harmless, but works with mild degrees of damage. For more complex ones, you will have to purchase technical perhydrol.
Useful tips for dealing with mold
- Do not try to wash off the fungus with warm or hot water and soap. The outer part will be removed, but the spores will receive food in the form of soap fats and warm moisture for reproduction.
- Another recipe for an antifungal solution: 1 part water, 3 parts baking soda and 1 part washing powder.
- Only the fungi themselves are removed mechanically (with a brush), but not the spores. The mold will reappear.
- Ammonia is found in all windshield wipers.
- To prevent the formation of spores, it is enough to ventilate the room 2 times a day for 10 minutes. The more intensive the ventilation and the drier the room, the less chance of fungus formation.
- If the room cannot be ventilated for some reason, install a moisture trap or dehumidifier there. Such devices are used by painters to dry rooms in which wallpaper is pasted.
- Heat and frost do not kill spores, they only stop their growth. With the return of comfortable temperature and humidity conditions, the development of the fungus continues.
Mold is harmful and even hazardous to health. Not only does it intensively process the oxygen we need, it can also cause a whole bunch of respiratory diseases. Of course, this requires a relatively large amount of fungus, but it always comes from a small amount. Eliminate the slightest manifestations of the fungus and take care of your health.
If your single window is in good condition, it is cheaper to do secondary glazing. Secondary glazing is the fact that a second layer of glass or a sheet of transparent plastic is placed on the sash or window frame
In this article: the device and principle of operation of a mobile air conditioner; characteristics of mobile climatic devices; selection of the best model from three air conditioners; how to choose a mobile air conditioner
In this article, we will show you how to get rid of snails and slugs. These pests can cause the death of the harvest of tomatoes, cabbage, strawberries, carrots, peas and other vegetables and berries, so the fight against them
Disputes with utilities over the debts of old homeowners - a burning topic for many. To successfully resolve this issue, it is necessary to know well the legislation, judicial practice on such
Black mold, which is very unpleasant and dangerous to human health, can appear not only on walls, ceilings, pipes, but also directly on plastic windows and slopes. Let's deal with the reasons for this