Table of contents:
Video: Construction Of A Wooden House: Which Timber To Choose
2023 Author: Douglas Hoggarth | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-11-26 20:16
- One-piece non-profiled
- One-piece profiled
- Glued profiled timber
- LVL bar
The timber minimizes the unpredictability of the behavior of the tree during operation, and therefore is the optimal building material. Timber houses are completed in one season and have a minimum durability of 50 years. There are 4 types of beams used in the production of wooden houses: solid non-profiled, solid profiled, glued profiled and the so-called LVL (from the English LVL - Laminated Veneer Lumber).
Which one is better to use to get a house that is optimal in terms of price / quality ratio? Consider the pros and cons of each type.
The beam is made from a solid log, from which a round edge is cut on four sides. For the construction of residential buildings, as a rule, natural drying timber 150x150 mm is used.
- low cost;
- availability on any sawmill, that is, by choosing the nearest one, the issue of delivery of building material is easily resolved.
- warping, shrinkage and cracking are the disadvantages of naturally dried wood;
- wood defects - internal rot, flying knots, foci of damage by insect pests, fungus, manifested after the completion of construction;
- the need for additional finishing - does not undergo finishing, therefore it needs additional finishing;
- the need for reinforced insulation of the seams - does not have strict transverse dimensions and evenness of the saw cut, as a result, large gaps between the crowns;
- low manufacturability - initially not suitable for the construction of walls, so you have to make additional reinforcement of the load-bearing walls and corners of the house, and this is extra labor and time.
The price of a whole non-profiled timber of natural moisture is about 9500 rubles. per cubic meter Plus the cost of finishing, mandatory treatment with fire retardant compounds and additional work.
Conclusion: not the best material for building a house, but if you have working hands, patience, accuracy and attention to detail during construction, you can build a house from it, and for a reasonable price.
The beam is also made from a solid log, only at the same time it is driven through special equipment, where it is given ideal geometric dimensions, a special profile-lock is selected and, of course, planed to give an aesthetic appearance.
- low probability of warpage - the technology of industrial drying of wood makes it possible to achieve 10–15% moisture content in the final material with practically no deformation consequences;
- does not need additional processing and finishing of the walls;
- high accuracy of connections (no gaps);
- manufacturability - lock profiles greatly facilitate the construction process.
- all possible defects of wood, which were mentioned above;
- the need for additional time for shrinkage - after all, the existing likelihood of shrinkage and warping of solid beams requires time for the finished walls to shrink.
The price for one-piece profiled timber of chamber drying is on average 12,000 rubles. per cubic meter More expensive than unfiltered, but the final result is much higher in quality.
Conclusion: after processing fire-biological protection, subject to construction technology, perhaps the best choice in terms of price / quality ratio, however, one must be prepared to deal with possible "surprises" of a solid bar.
Glued profiled timber
As the name implies, this type of timber is also calibrated and equipped with a lock profile. However, it is made not from a solid log, but from separate blocks. They are glued together under pressure with a special glue.
- all the advantages of a profiled bar;
- resistance to warping - due to the combination of various types of wood when collecting blocks for one log, further deformation, cracking is absolutely excluded and shrinkage of the finished beams is practically excluded;
- no need for additional time for shrinkage - a house built of laminated veneer lumber does not shrink and is suitable for habitation almost immediately after completion of construction.
- high price;
- low environmental friendliness compared to a solid bar - a foreign material is glue;
- the natural circulation of moisture inside the timber is somewhat disrupted, due to the use of glue, moisture is not able to circulate between the layers, because of this, a slight disturbance of the microclimate inside the house is possible.
The price of glued laminated timber is on average 25,000 rubles. per cube - twice as expensive as a solid one. However, it should be noted that the cost of the project of wooden houses made of glued beams is no different from similar projects of houses made of solid timber, and in the costs of the construction itself, the cost of walls is about half of the entire construction budget. Consequently, the final house will not rise in price by much. In addition, with a reduction in construction time, and when using glued beams, as mentioned above, it is minimal, the cost of work also decreases.
Conclusion: if there is an opportunity to spend money on this expensive option of a bar, then for the quick construction of a turnkey wooden house this is the best option, otherwise, it is probably better to still stay on a solid profiled bar.
The manufacturing technology of LVL timber resembles the technology of laminated veneer lumber, only it is glued not from blocks, but from 3 mm veneer. Plywood is produced in almost the same way, only, unlike it, the wood of adjacent layers in the LVL bar is parallel to each other relative to the fibers. This allows you to process this type of timber in the same way as solid or glued timber. When gluing, the density of the various layers is selected in such a way that the denser layers are on the outside and the softer ones are on the inside.
- all the advantages of profiled glued beams, only raised to the rank of absolute;
- increased strength and elasticity, as well as unlimited length makes it possible to manufacture spans of any size;
- increased moisture, fire and biological resistance.
- highest price;
- the lowest environmental friendliness.
The price for LVL timber is about 35,000 rubles / m 3. This price makes it unprofitable when building walls of houses from a bar, but since it makes it possible to increase spans without using support pillars and beams, in combination with other types of timber, it significantly expands the possibilities when choosing a project.
Conclusion: for the construction of walls, an irrational material, but quite suitable for auxiliary structures.
All conclusions are clearly shown in the final table:
|Fire-, moisture-, bio-resistance||Strength||Construction time||
|Risk of wood defects||Output|
|One-piece non-profiled||ex.||bottom.||bottom.||bottom.||bottom.||bottom.||ex.||bottom.||Satisfactory material|
|One-piece profiled||chorus.||ex.||chorus.||chorus.||satisfactory||ex.||ex.||Wednesday||Very good stuff|
|Glued profiled||satisfactory||ex.||ex.||chorus.||chorus.||ex.||chorus.||ex.||If not for the price, it would be the perfect material|
|LVL bar||bad.||ex.||ex.||ex.||ex.||not used||bottom.||ex.||Very expensive to build. Excellent for strength members|
Thus, what the house will be like is always decided by the one who will live in it. Materials for construction must be selected based on their requests and available funds. From the analysis carried out, it can be concluded that the most preferable for building a house from a bar are solid profiled and glued profiled beams, however, there will also be a place for other types.
Plastic, plastic all around … And so you want to wake up in a wooden house, breathe in deeply, feel the light, barely perceptible smell of freshly sawn wood. You know, even the morning light pouring into the windows
The modern market for roofing materials has experienced a real technical revolution at the end of the last century - if 15 years ago, buyers had to choose between asbestos cement (slate) and galvanized
Currently, there is a fierce struggle between manufacturers of plastic, aluminum and wooden structures. Some organizations are already opening aggregate industries, expanding their target audience. But
In this article, we will compare traditional methods of building and decorating buildings with new technologies for light construction. Our goal is not just to list the differences, but to understand the essence of the issue. The article will be useful to those
Siding is becoming an increasingly popular facade material, bypassing traditional finishing materials such as plaster and paint. Siding has a lot of advantages, but it should be remembered that there are several